How immigration suspension will affect DACA recipients

The administration on Thursday announced it will extend DACA protections for people brought to the country illegally as children, extending the program for five years.

The decision came as part of a broader effort to keep federal contractors from using the program to hire illegal immigrants, and to ensure companies aren’t relying on it to hire employees.

The announcement also marks the first time since the election that the Trump administration has actually ended the program.

The move came hours after Trump announced that he was canceling a $1.6 billion contract to help build a border wall with Mexico.

A federal appeals court in California, which had blocked Trump’s move, ruled in February that Trump’s decision violated federal law.

The ruling had been a victory for Democrats, who have pushed for an end to the DACA program for more than a year.

They have been working for years to overturn the decision and force the administration to stop its use of the program as a bargaining chip with companies.

On Thursday, the White House also announced that it would be extending the protections for students and families who entered the country as children.

Previously, the administration had allowed parents to keep their DACA work permits.

Trump signed an executive order in February directing the Department of Homeland Security to suspend the program, but the department hasn’t announced a new plan.

It is unclear how many people will be impacted by the new decision.

A Department of Labor official told reporters Thursday that the department was working on a list of companies that would be impacted, and a DHS spokesperson said the agency was still reviewing the new executive order.

The Department of Justice also issued a statement saying the agency is reviewing the order and will make a decision as soon as possible.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.